Wednesday, December 20


BOCES newsletter
Another fine correspondence from Barry Derfel at BOCES

Go Guardian for Teachers program review

This email came from Denny a few days ago:

We are in the second week of two week trial of GoGuardian for Teachers. Go Guardian is the monitoring and filtering system that we use for Chromebooks used by students.  It is effective both on campus and away. GoGuardian for Teachers has various features, and I am not well versed in it, but one thing it allows is for the Teacher to observe the Chromebook desktops of selected students during sessions lasting up  to two hours.

About a dozen people so far have been invited to test the software,and at least five of them have done so, and comments I've received are favorable.  If you would like to try GoGuardian for teachers during the week ending Dec. 22, please send me a reply e-mail.  

Click the title above for more info.  Paul is trying to have the trial extended so more folks can get a good idea.

Here is some input from a few teachers:

Rachel:
I'm loving it! I don't use it to block any thing, but I check after class to see if any students were on a non-academic site so I can correct that / monitor them more closely.

Here is a response from a teachert in Beekmantown.  They did a really nice presentation when I was in Albany.

I will be upfront and tell you that I'm only an occasional user of GoGuardian Teacher.  My goal is to build a level of trust/expectation so that students know how to properly use in class without having "big brother" over their shoulder.

That being said here are three situations I personally find it to be effective:

  1. When I have a substitute and I want to be able to see what students are doing/did while I'm not there.  For example, if one of my kids is sick and I'm home for the day, or I'm at a conference, I can still check in to make sure kids are doing what's expected.
  2. When you run a study hall and you have a mix of students from various grades/classes, you can be aware of and monitor what they're doing. 
  3. When you have to document and provide evidence for how a student is using class time.  This can be helpful for team meetings/parent conferences, etc.  


January testing
Here's the file, and it's also linked from the Master file.


A writing sample for your review
I received this message from a student the other day.  I initially got a kick out the message, but it drives home the fact that quite a few of our students simply write too informally. I know it's just an email, but the student in this case might project this lack of grammar and spelling skill when he gets into the workplace unless we hammer home these skills now.

The moral of the story is to make our students write often, and point out their mistakes so they can see the need for better work, both now and down the road. You can bet this young man will be in my office getting help with viewing his grades, and with writing an email!



New Book: The i5 Approach:
Lesson Planning That Teaches Thinking and Fosters Innovation


No comments: